Metropolitan Police Service: Supporting the UK’s largest police service
Babcock supports the UK’s largest police service. The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) polices 620 square miles and serves more than eight million people across one of the world’s most dynamic and diverse cities. The MPS keeps London safe for everyone, as well as co-ordinating national counter-terrorism matters.
- INDUSTRY SECTOR: Emergency Services – Police
- SERVICES DELIVERED: Repair & Maintenance, Collision repair, Logistics support & fleet administration
- CONTRACT DURATION: Commenced: 2006 Duration: 16 years including extensions
- CONTRACT LOCATION: Park Royal, London, UK, Rainham, Essex, UK, Woolwich, London, UK
- REDUCED COSTS: Working in close partnership with the customer to deliver cost savings and value-for-money solutions
- INFORMATION SYSTEMS: My-Fleet web portal, providing interactive access for essential fleet management information
- FLEET AVAILABILITY: Dynamic fleet availability management
- ENHANCED CAPABILITY: Project management support, new technology and innovation roll out
- Managing the availability of over 3,500 MPS vehicles and associated specialist equipment
- Highly critical response required 24/7 x 365 days a year to defects and communications problems to ensure minimal downtime
- Building, managing and running the complete fleet operation across three workshops 24/7 365 days a year to meet operational targets
- Providing additional fleet management support including the administration of fuel cards, Road Fund Licences, PCNs, NIPs and assisting with the Vehicle Replacement Programme in partnership with the customer.
- Multi-million pound investment in three new London-based dedicated service and repair facilities.
- In 2019 Babcock invested in a new multi-million pound state of the art workshop facility in Rainham, Essex on the eastern side of London, equipped with modern equipment and technology. This brand new workshop significantly increases the capacity and capability of the contract and Babcock’s ability to maintain the MPS fleet, helping to continue to keep London safe.
- Babcock used its proven asset management approach to manage real-time fleet availability and optimise usage through developing more accurate dynamic maintenance schedules, work patterns, procedures and asset tracking. Tailored incident reporting was introduced to support detailed trend analysis that identifies potential efficiency improvements and pinpoints resource needs.
- Babcock managed the second generation TUPE of a number of MPS staff and, by integrating the skills and culture of both organisations, has successfully established a committed and effective team. The workshops, combined with 19 mobile maintenance response units, carry out over 140,000 hours of labour per year.
Babcock’s drive to continually provide a high quality and resilient service has delivered the following outcomes:
- Dynamic fleet availability management
- My-Fleet web portal, providing interactive access for essential fleet management information
- Working closely with the customer to deliver cost savings and provide value-for-money solutions
- Full availability contract
- Dedicated call centre
- TUPE of unionised workshop staff
- Multi-million pound redevelopment and management of three workshops
- Mobile maintenance unit support
- Vehicle recovery, collection and delivery service
- Focus on delivering against very stringent set availability and performance targets across the London boroughs.
For further information email: [email protected]
Download a pdf of this case study here.