Lots of young people want to get straight into the workplace and start earning money, and an apprenticeship allows them to do just that.
Apprentices work for local businesses, earning a real wage, gaining practical skills and completing nationally recognised qualifications. A Level 2 apprenticeship typically takes 12 – 18 months to complete and apprentices are paid at least the minimum apprenticeship wage – in fact, most of our employers pay their apprentices the same as the rest of their workforce.
Why do an apprenticeship?
Apprenticeships are an excellent way of gaining:
- Nationally recognised qualifications
- Workplace experience
- Practical skills and knowledge
- A real wage
- New higher level apprenticeships meaning learners can progress to Foundation Degree level
What are the components of an apprenticeship?
We offer apprenticeships across a wide range of sectors from Hospitality and Early Years Care to Active Leisure and Business Skills (see full list here) and the qualifications achieved through the apprenticeships vary. Generally, as part of an apprenticeship the following qualifications will be achieved:
- An appropriate work-based qualification such as a diploma. certificate or standard at either Level 2 or Level 3
- A technical qualification relevant to their specific apprenticeship
- English and maths qualifications – focussed on the application of these skills in the workplace environment rather than purely academic knowledge
- Wider transferrable skills e.g. working in teams, problem-solving, communication and customer service
- Other qualifications or requirements as specified by the particular occupation
In the majority of cases we deliver all of the teaching, learning and assessment required while the apprentice is in the workplace. Each apprentice will have a dedicated Babcock Vocational Regional Trainer who will provide the support they need in order to achieve their qualifications.
Think apprenticeships are only for school leavers? Think again! Apprenticeships are available to anyone over the age 16 and are a valuable first step on the career ladder. At Babcock, there are no formal entry requirements for most programmes, however, apprentices need to be committed, motivated, enthusiastic and reliable.
Please take the time to look online at our current Apprenticeship Vacancies.
If you would like to discuss apprenticeships in more detail please contact us on 0800 731 8199 or [email protected]
For parents’ information about apprenticeship programmes, please download our brochure.
For more information about the benefits of apprenticeship programmes, please click here.
For information from the National Apprenticeship Service, please click here.
For webinars covering lots of useful content visit the Amazing Apprenticeships website here.