How apprenticeships work
Our apprenticeships take place at locations right across the UK and lead you to nationally-recognised qualifications.
Whatever your trade or location, you’ll get a similar experience when you join Babcock as an apprentice.
Your training will normally be delivered in partnership with local training providers and will meet National Occupational Standards under the Modern Apprenticeship Framework. This has three key parts:
- Core/key skills: You’ll need to be able to use IT equipment, communicate and use numbers. (You may not need this training if you already have similar qualifications.)
- Education: It’s vital that you have a good understanding of general engineering theory, so you’ll be given academic instruction relevant to your trade. Working towards a National Certificate, you’ll be taught either full-time or on day release.
- Vocational learning: Our apprenticeships give you the practical skills you need to reach S/NVQ Level 3. This includes personal and team development activities designed to give you confidence along with team and leadership skills.
Find out how you could grow with Babcock.
Your apprenticeship with Babcock is an introduction to the world of work and gives you the chance to benefit from a world-class programme.
You’ll get competitive rates of pay and be rewarded for progressing to new levels of competency, and for good conduct, with regular pay increases. Once you qualify, you should be paid normal craft rates.
On top of your salary, an apprenticeship with Babcock offers you:
- Pension: You can choose to join our contributory pension scheme.
- Babcock Approved employee share ownership plan: If you’re eligible, our Share Scheme lets you buy shares in Babcock International Group PLC.
- Accredited qualifications: You’ll learn transferable skills through our commitment to accrediting all our training.
- Awards: Babcock Apprentices are regularly put forward, and sponsored, for awards. Our apprentices have previously won awards from organisations including the Engineering Employers Federation (EEF) and the Worshipful Company of Shipwrights.
- Social and community life: Our apprenticeships are about helping you grow as a person, so you’ll be encouraged to join our active social programme and get involved in community and charity activities such as The Prince’s Trust.
Find out how rewarding an apprenticeship at Babcock can be.
Make the most of what you can be
We’ll help you develop your career and yourself.
Wherever you work at Babcock, we offer a wide range of world-class training programmes to take your career in the direction you want to go.
Join us as an apprentice and you’ll be taking the first step on a scheme that will give you nationally-accredited qualifications, along with a range of other transferable skills that will give you a solid platform for wherever your working life takes you.
Leadership and team development
During your apprenticeship, we’ll help you develop as part of a team and learn the leadership skills you’ll need if you intend to go into management.
You can back this up with our First Line Leaders programme after your apprenticeship, giving you essential development towards a supervisory or management role.
We’ll guide your learning and follow your progression throughout your apprenticeship. You may even be offered the opportunity of a sponsored HNC, foundation degree or a full degree if you show the abilities needed to succeed.
It’s a path followed by several of our senior managers and directors, who began as Babcock apprentices.