On Track Plant
Having worked with Europe’s leading track renewals specialist company Swietelsky since 1996, Babcock has successfully brought best practice solutions and the latest technology from Europe into the UK rail market.
The introduction of Automated Finishing Machines marked a step change in on-track technology, uniquely combining ballast regulating and profiling with dynamic track stabilising and track recording capability. The latest addition to the tamper fleet is the Unimat 09-4×4/4S Dynamic, the first of its kind to be introduced into the UK which is currently working throughout Network Rail’s LNE Route ensuring that the switches and crossings and plain line track geometry is correctly maintained.
We are also proud to have developed our KIROW cranes with a unique special rotating head offering infinite load positioning for our customers. SB Rail has further developed the KRC 250 rail cranes to provide high output piling and mast/portal erection capability to serve the significant industry investment in rail electrification. This electrification piling system is currently being successfully deployed on the EGIP contract electrifying Scotland’s flagship line between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley stations.
We have a strong team of experienced Operators, Maintainers, Fuel Bowser Drivers and Control Room Staff who are all are highly qualified in their field and permanently strive to deliver a high performing and reliable service at all times.
Our plant team manages, maintains and operates its on track plant and road rail fleet from strategically located maintenance depots.
The current fleet includes:
- Six plain line tamping machine
- Five S&C tamping machines
- Two of the UK’s only Automated Finishing Machines (AFM 200)
- Two 09-3x tamping machines
- One USP 5000 regulator
- One 09-4×4/4S dynamic tamping machine
- Five Unimog road rail machines for overhead line work and tunnel inspections
- Three 26 tonne road rail lorries for goods and materials
- Two road rail land rover for inspection and personnel
- Two GWS 75 tamping machines
- Three KIROW KRC 250 cranes
- The UK’s only road rail Mobile Flash Butt Welder
In addition to our own plant fleet, we manage, maintain and operate a range of customer owned plant throughout the UK.