Engineering and Systems Integration Overview
Babcock is a leading UK platform-build and systems integrator across defence and security markets, striving to improve protection, connectivity, and sustainability of critical services.
Across the UK we have design, test, and manufacture facilities with automotive engineering expertise in the Midlands and a specialist freeport zone in Plymouth.
E&SI manufacture more than 1000 vehicles per year across the two sites and provide armour integration for protected mobility and civilian armoured vehicles.
Babcock work with component suppliers to enhance powertrain, suspension and braking solutions in battlefield scenarios. We also work with a range of strategic partners to develop our existing Babcock vehicle engineering capability, targeting the opportunities presented by the Land Industrial Strategy and wider international export markets. Notably, the recent contract awarded with Supacat to build the ‘Jackal’ vehicle for the British Army will demonstrate our armoured integration for protected mobility.
Platform build and integration
- The design, integration, and through-life support of afamily of connected combat, support and surveillancevehicles
- Long Range Fires & C4ISTAR systems Integration
- System Engineering and General Vehicle Architecture
- Repowering solution to convert platforms from Dieselto Electric
- Strategic relationships to deliver Land Industrial Strategyon behalf of UK MoD
- Growing export and license opportunities
Specialist Vehicle Conversions
- 5x Certified armour solutions
- First to market with new Toyota L300 conversion
- Produced >80% of all UK Government ArmouredVehicles
- Exclusive stocking agreement with Toyota
- Complex overt emergency vehicles; ANPR/Traffic cars,Armed response units, Public order vehicles
- Integration of discreet vehicle communications anddata systems
- System Integration of ANPR, facial recognition,movement tracking, and video transmission andrecording
Toyota Land Cruiser Case Study
With 15 years’ experience of building armoured Land Cruisers, in 2022 Babcock were first to market with an LC300 armour solution.
As well as the first whole-vehicle tested solution, the LC300 also achieved:
- First certified 2m side blast
- First PAS300:2018 certification
- First STANAG 4569 compliant solution
We now deliver over 120,000 labour hours of armoured car production annually and over 80% of all government armoured vehicles across the defence and security markets. Babcock also have a team of international engineers that have supported armoured vehicles overseas for over 30 years; from routine maintenance to fleet-wide protection and communication upgrades.
Jackal Case Study
Starting this year, Babcock and Supacat will deliver an initial order of 70 High Mobility Transporters (HMT 400 series) to the MoD. Named ‘Jackal’ by the British Army, the HMT 400 series is a versatile platform with unparalleled cross-country performance and is also in service internationally across Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, and Estonia.
The contract is to be delivered between Supacat’s manufacturing facilities and Babcock’s Devonport production site in Plymouth. The programme shows how British industry can work collaboratively to rapidly respond to defence requirements and deliver against short timescales.
Project Lurcher Electrification Case Study
Babcock is working with the MOD to help the British Army understand the Defence application and constraints of electric propulsion. Partnering with Electric Vehicle (EV) experts, Electrogenic, Babcock will convert four in-service military Land Rovers, (two protected vehicles and two general service), from diesel to EV using a drop-in kit and modified battery system.
The vehicles will then be put to the test by the Armoured Trials and Development Unit (ATDU) in a series of experimental battlefield and military scenarios which will assess performance over steep terrains, wading and towing, and different climate-related conditions.