Babcock is a significant employer and a key driver of the UK economy.
We work across all our markets and sectors in the UK. Headquartered in London and with dockyards, specialist training facilities, equipment testing centres and research and development facilities and offices across England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
We are committed to making a positive contribution to the communities in which we operate by providing high-quality jobs and delivering social and economic sustainability. A report by Oxford Economics into Babcock’s social and economic contribution to the UK highlights our critical role in the UK defence sector and how we support the levelling up agenda across the UK by investing and supporting employment in the most deprived areas. The report also finds that in the 2021/22 financial year, Babcock contributed £3.3bn in GDP to the UK economy and £770 million in tax revenues. See below for more key findings.
Creating prosperity, together
In the South West of England region
- £1.1bn contribution to GDP
- 19,400 jobs sustained in the region, with over 10,400 directly employed, and a further 8,900 jobs supported in businesses across its UK supply chain.
- 300 graduates and 620 apprentices training with Babcock in the South West.
- More than £140m paid to suppliers, and £460m paid to workers in the region.
- Over 60 sites in the area, including Devonport, the largest naval base in Western Europe.
- £370m contribution to GDP
- 6,300 jobs supported in Scotland, with over 3,500 directly employed, and a further 2,800 jobs supported in businesses across its Scottish supply chain.
- Over 3,100 people working in major naval dockyards at Rosyth and HMNB Clyde providing critical services to the Royal Navy
- More than £50m paid to suppliers, and £150m paid to workers in Scotland
- Over 150 graduates and apprentices training to become high skilled workers in the region